Kate Troy wrote:

> The "sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells" seem to indicate a place
> by the sea.  This would not at all contracdict the idea that it was
> also a poor, rather sleazy section of town.

No matter how much I picture in my mind that the action of "Prufrock"
is taking place in Paris, the city that Eliot pictured in his mind
must have been Boston.  The "sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells"
may have been in the seedy Scollay Square section of town (since
"urbanized" to be the landscape desert of Government Center near the
new City Hall.)  This is just a short walk from both Beacon Hill and
the waterfront and near the locally famous Union Oyster House.

Regards,
    Rick Parker