In a message dated 4/17/2003 10:01:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> PS: where's everyone been these last few days?

Well, I've been enjoying this gorgeous weather, unelieveable; 80's with
brilliant sunshine every day and 65 or so at night with light breezes.

The "sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells" seem to indicate a place by the
sea.  This would not at all contracdict the idea that it was also a poor,
rather sleazy section of town.  Years ago, fishing villages by the sea and
the secton of a city near the harbor and marinas were often unkempt places
inhabited by poor people; I don't know when people came to realize that it
was actually real cool to live by the water.

Regards,

Kate