In a message dated 4/8/03 3:37:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> because it 1) makes economic sense and 2) makes ethnic sense and 3) makes
> religious sense.  I also think that the Indians and Pakistani and the
> Protestant and Catholic Irish should reform -- people who share a common
> background should have no problem living together.  Sadly, they all too
> often do.  I think it's horrible when the U.S.A. gets involved in other
> nations "familial" complexities.  I realize that Israel as a more directly
> created nation than either Iraq or India is a sticky situation -- but -- as
> the sites in Israel are SO holy and SO important, why can't a peaceful
> solution be brought about?  Why should anyone give a damn what religion
> their neighbors are?

Israel wasn't a created Nation.  It was just given official recognition in
1948. Those people were always there, certainly before non-Indian Americans
were here.
So, you think one country.  You believe that the Israelis should grant the
Palestinians full Israeli citizenship, which, by the way, is what the
Palestinians really want, have always wanted.  So, the Israelis on the their
farm settlements in the West Bank could then stay without fear of being
attacked and the Palestinians could go to work in Tel Aviv without feeling
like slaves.  And all the tourists would come back and fill up the
restaurants and the bars and the holy sites.  I admit the advantages, but the
Israelis should agree to this why?  The Israelis are the ones with the
economy, with the powerful military, with the bodies of dead young men and
women in their early 20's as a result of suicide bomber who walked into a
hang out bar.  Then, there is the deeper, philosophical issue.  A Jewish
homeland.  And this is not just important to Jews everywhere but also to
Christians who believe in prophesy and fundamentalist Christians are almost
as pro-Israeli as Jews are.
I believe that the question of "one country/two countries" comes down to
this: Is this a civil war?  If the people there believe that it is a civil
war, then there should be one country and the Palestinians should immediately
be given full citizen and representation rights despite all of the issues and
if not, then let them go their separate ways immediately.

Regards,

Kate