[log in to unmask] writes:

> When Eliot published his mum's book/play on
> Savonarola, I believe he did give some cornsideration
> to most of them folk.

What am I trying to get across is that when one thinks "Medieval," one thinks
in the way Dante and the Pearl Poet thought -- an immediacy with God in
everything.  I realize that there are _countless_ other Medieval opinions.
When the Romans thought of themselves during the Pax Romana they thought of
their beloved Princeps, Augustus.  It's the same idea.  To use an idea more
instantly devourable, when someone thinks of the Greeks they think of these
fair, right minded people, a view that existed for perhaps 2 centuries at a
very long, very forgiving stretch.  I'm not sure what will be the main theme
of the Industrial Age except perhaps an immediacy with possessing everything.

The point is that every Era has a main idea.  There are of course other ideas
which stem from that time.  The fact of this, however, is pointless to the
idea I was trying to get across when I stated that Eliot, in Prufrock, uses
the fear of sex as a fear of action and a fear of joining with the Divine.

Michael

p.s. I assume everyone on the list has a cursory knowledge of Medieval
Literature -- I do not, however, assume that everyone on the list has more
than that; it's quite rude to do so.