[log in to unmask] wrote:

> The "you and I" identifies who the "us" is, doesn't it?

I agree.  In "Let us go then, you and I" the "you and I" seems to me
to be a tacked-on phrase to identify "us"; equivalent to "Pharoah, let
them go, Moses and his people."

What would make the usage a bit strange is that "you" can be singular
or plural and so "you and I" isn't needed.  If there are only two
people there then "us" has to mean both of them and if there are more
than two then "you" doesn't really identify any singular person or
persons in the group (in a written context; verbally there could be a
clue.)

This may be why the "you" is so often read as being the reader, and is
an invitation the reader into the poem.  Since the phrase may not have
much meaning in a dramatic context (as if seen on a stage) then it may
lead the reader to think that he is being addressed (singular you) out
of a larger group (multiple readers, plural you).

Regards,
    Rick Parker