Jennifer Formichelli wrote:

>  One means of this is exactly what an
> epigraph requests: a comparison between the scene of the epigraph and
> the work to which it is attached. 'A comparison', as Eliot said, 'in
> which two things are measured by each other.'

Where did Eliot say this, & _of_ what did he say it? Does it refer
specifically to epigraphs?

And it seems to me pretty meaningless to measure two things by each
other. There has to be some identity to allow comparison, which implies
a third element. That is, one compares A & B in respect to height, or
weight, or deriviation, or military power, or degrees of greenness, or
courtesy of their relatives or ....

Carrol