[log in to unmask] writes:

> Since my reply to this seemed to evoke confusion, I am replying again.
> "Most great Medieval thinkers" is so vast a set that I do not think any
> valid
> claim can possibly be made about them.  Is this early and late Medieval?
> All countries?  Mystics and all others?  Chaucer?  My point is that
> humans vary immensely in their ideas in all times and places.

From Boethius (the last classical thinker and first medieval thinker) through
at Least Chaucer [and so maybe I am abandoning the very late Middle Ages]
there is a mode of thinking [at least partially, if not greatly influenced by
Christian, Muslim, and Jewish Mystics] that the act of copulation is created
by God to demonstrate to humans how divinity works.  1+1=3 is a kind of
Kabbalistic mantra -- there is always something more there.  This is why
Dante is so Vehemently anti-homosexual and anti-usurist.   Homosexuals cannot
make a third from their couple and Usurers make something from an inanimate
object (money).  This thread runs through Medieval literature (at least
Medieval English and Italian and Provencal literature), just read _The Pearl_
or _Sir Gawain and the Green Knight_
Michael