Dear Rick,

>> Well, not secrets exactly, but confession.
>
> A confession that was expected never to reach anyone living.
> It was to be a secret to us.

No confession is meant to reach anyone but he who is formally
authorised to hear it.

A sacramental confession--confession  is a sacrament, after all--is
sealed by the Seal of Confession, the breach of which is a mortal sin.
This point is crucial when looking at what happens between Guido and
Dante, and particularly in the fact that we do, in Inferno, hear this
confession (not lost, I am sure, on Eliot), in fact, of a confession:
Guido's account is of his confession to Boniface.

Yours, Jennifer