Peter Montgomery wrote:

> From: Carrol Cox [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
>  I've never cared
> for discussions of "Gerontion" that treat Gerontion as a "character,"
> and perhaps seeing Prufrock as a character is equally misleading.
> "Gerontion" is an echo chamber; perhaps so is "Prufrock."
> Really interesting Carrol. Care to elaborate at all?
> It's certainly a line of perception I find interesting
> to follow.

I know Milton, Pope, Austen, & Pound -- but with Eliot I'm strictly an
amateur. The suggestion is not inconsistent with the TWL note that says
what Tiresias sees is the poem. Seeing, perception in general, has no
necessary logic or coherence. Prufrock, then, would be only the name
given to a possible bundle of observations and perceptions, nominally
held together by the opening line seen as the speaker addressing
himself.

Who was it that mentioned Russell? An early (partial) acceptance of
Russell's atomism would be consistent with the style of poems through
TWL (or The Hollow Men). The worlds of the poems through TWL are worlds
that won't cohere.

If we see Prufrock as such a bundle of possibilities, then the "poet" is
in some sense "in" the poem as the consciousness holding it together.

I'm just thinking with my fingertips here. I won't get into an argument
over it.

Carrol