Dear Peter,

First,

> Some intelligent person (George failed to say whom) in our
> group, wrote:
>
> the epigraph is spoken neither by J Alfred Prufrock
> (presumably if it were it would not be an epigraph) nor by TS Eliot:
> instead it is spoken by Guido da Montefeltro, a rather different
> character (that is if one can call Prufrock a character at all, which
> I for
> one would not); and part of its richness comes from its disparity from
> the
> poem to which it is attached.

Thank you for your kindness; the quotation is I believe written by
myself .

Second,
> Guido is being punished in a ditch related to fraud
> because, presumably, he defrauded himself in buying
> into the Pope's penitential strategy. Is that not
> parallel to Prufrock's engagements in, or temptations
> to engage in delusion?

Guido follows after Ulysses, and suffers the same punishment (though
has less glamour). He is wrapped in a flaming tongue, in the bolgia of
the treacherous, for having issued false advise (exactly as Ulysses).
What he did was advise Boniface to break a peace, and that is why he is
with the treacherous. You are right that he was a fool to believe the
Pope's promised absolution; he would have known, and probably did, that
any absolution given to a man false of heart (not penitent) is void.
The devils prove this to him when they come to take him away.