Michael Palmer wrote:

> Poets write because they feel compelled to.  When done properly, it
> is all personal and universal. . . .  Personal because a human wrote
> it and universal because it is intended to be read by everyone.

As I understand Eliot, he would say personal because it holds a
personal meaning to the poet (even if not understood by him) and
universal because it can have a personal meaning to all readers
(though perhaps different meanings.)

And Michael again on a different poet:

> that's the coolest thing in the world Rick.  Thanks.

You're welcome.  I wish I had found the poetry though and not just
the article.

Regards,
    Rick Parker

P.S.  The yellow fog is gone; now it rains.