Date sent:              Wed, 9 Apr 2003 20:20:26 -0500
From:                   Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                CORRECTION Re: Grammar (you and I)
To:                     [log in to unmask]

See the all caps  correction at the beginning of the second paragraph
Peter Montgomery wrote: > > >
> Dylan Thomas said, somewhere, that a poem on the page is > only half a
poem. >

I think he was wrong. There's no doubt that hearing a poem read aloud
enhances -- that is enhances the later silent reading of it. Much of the
sound value of poetry can only be heard in the head as one reads silently.
Particularly cadence tends to get damped when the poem is read aloud
(though again, a good reading aloud can change the quality of one's later
silent reading).

Those lines from Pope I quoted are really NOT a special case. Most good
verse has several sounds or sound patterns, and to read aloud kills all
the patterns except the one chosen by the reader. In a silent reading One
can "hear" them all at once.

Carrol