My word!!!!  We agree.  (Of course now you may want to rethink.)  But on
grammar, you point to the real issue, and that means there is no need to
go in a circle.
Nancy

Date sent:              Sun, 6 Apr 2003 22:16:27 -0700
From:                   Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Grammar (you and I)
To:                     [log in to unmask]

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

In a message dated 4/6/03 9:35:45 PM EST, [log in to unmask]
writes:

>  The reasoning, I mean.
>  And only the reasoning. Ditto to Steve and Rick.
>  Do we assume that TSE made
>  a mistake? Inquiring minds want to know...
>
>  Ken

   I certainly don't think it's a "mistake", as TSE was a master of
   grammar.
I do think it's poetic license -- "Let us go then, you and I" sounds a lot
better than "Let us go then, you and me".
======== "You and I"
suggests the speaker is conscious of himself as a subject.  -You and me-
would suggest otherwise -- the speaker as an object.

Cheers,
Peter.

Dr. Peter C. Montgomery
Dept. of English