Date sent:              Sun, 6 Apr 2003 22:12:30 -0700
From:                   Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Medieval Thinking
To:                     [log in to unmask]

From: Nancy Gish [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Perhaps you might resort to giving some reason why any particular set of
thinkers over many centuries can be lumped into one set of ideas or even
why you think the term "Dark Ages" still carries any assumed single
concept.  For example, the Lollards and Wycliffe and Marguerite Porete
and
the Beguines are still up for resorting.
==============

I realise that the above words were not directed at me,
but I feel theneed to intervene. My original assertion, which
started us down this bumpy road, was that "I doubted whether
there was anything about the middle ages in which Eliot was
not interested." Or words, not quite so clumsy, to that effect.

I was spouting my admiration for the breadth of Eliot's
interests. He picked up on everything. I'm sure there
was a lot that he didn't follow up on, a lot he didn't
agree with and so didn't follow, but I'm pretty convinced
that he had as full and as accurate a map of the lay of the
cultural/intellectual medieval land, as anyone in his time.
He simply devoured information. That's what I was asserting,
or trying to. So maybe that is wrong, but trying to sort out
the specifics of what he did and did not pay attention to in
detail is another and very difficult question.

Cheers,
Peter.

Dr. Peter C. Montgomery
Dept. of English