Date sent:              Sun, 6 Apr 2003 15:42:54 -0400
From:                   "Rickard A. Parker" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Grammar (you and I)
To:                     [log in to unmask]

[log in to unmask] wrote:

> The "you and I" identifies who the "us" is, doesn't it?

I agree.  In "Let us go then, you and I" the "you and I" seems to me
to be a tacked-on phrase to identify "us"; equivalent to "Pharoah, let
them go, Moses and his people."

What would make the usage a bit strange is that "you" can be singular or
plural and so "you and I" isn't needed.  If there are only two people
there then "us" has to mean both of them and if there are more than two
then "you" doesn't really identify any singular person or persons in the
group (in a written context; verbally there could be a clue.)

This may be why the "you" is so often read as being the reader, and is an
invitation the reader into the poem.  Since the phrase may not have much
meaning in a dramatic context (as if seen on a stage) then it may lead the
reader to think that he is being addressed (singular you) out of a larger
group (multiple readers, plural you).

Regards,
    Rick Parker