How can you say what Eliot "would" do?  I'm curious.
Nancy

On 1 Apr 2003, at 15:53, [log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

even if eliot were being subtle (which I don't think he is.  erudite,
yes, subtle no)
he would use Paolo and Francesca.
Montefaltro has acted upon something because he was given prior
permission for it.  That act was sinful and even though he was given
prior absolution, we find out in Dante that this absolution was
worthless.  Eliot uses the GdM quote to show his speaker terrified
of action -- for example: even if he "gets" all the hints, the woman
may still throw off her shawl and say this is not what I meant, not
at all.  Prior knowledge of an action's supposed results and
consequences does not translate into real results and
consequences.  Eliot was desparately and disparately trying to
convey that in Prufrock (and indeed, throughout most of _Prufrock
and Other Observations_ and _Poems 1920_.)

Michael