Dear Dorothy,

"Opposed to government policies" was a paraphrase of Eliot, not a
judgment of mine.  And "liberal" varies in meaning, of course, not
only in time but between countries.  I was not commenting on any
specific views of Eliot but merely noting that he did make overt
political claims at various times.
Nancy

On 29 Apr 2003, at 11:35, dorothy peters <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  Dear Nancy,
>  You wrote:
> > On the other hand, he claimed--some time early in WWI--to be liberal and
> > opposed to the government's policies. (Also in the letters) He took many
> > overt political positions.
> > Nancy
>
> Below, I have pasted an excerpt  from an editorial by Michael Bradley ( full text at the following URL  http://www.bradleyreport.net/editorial/FarRightEdgesCloser.htm )  The excerpt concerns the meaning of the word Liberal, then and now.  Bradley says, "...and politically "liberal" should not
be a pejorative term any more than conservative should be."

> I happened upon the above website while searching the author and title in the post from :From: <[log in to unmask]>
> To: <[log in to unmask]>
> > The President reminds me of Berzilius Windrip in Sinclair Lewis' It Can't
> > Happen Here.
>  ___________________________________________
> Quoting Michael Bradley :
>            "We all think, of course, 'that it couldn't happen here,' but our 20th Century history shows that there was quite as much to fear from fascism as there was from communism, as Sinclair L
ewis once tried to point out. And unlike communism, which was beaten and discredited, fascism was o
nly beaten.
>             And here is where history and words and phrases join hands.
>             But this didn't happen over night.
>             Taking a definition from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, a liberal is "one who i
s open-minded or not strict in the observance of orthodox, traditional or established forms or ways
," and a conservative is "an adherent or advocate of political conservatism.one who adheres to trad
itional methods or views."
>             What has happened in the last 30 years is that conservatives have broadened the defin
ition of liberal, leaving it hooked to the idea of it being something radical while connecting it w
ith virtually everything and anything they oppose, especially Democratic politics. As one 'average
American' recently noted in a car enthusiasts' internet chat room, "the conservatives have managed
to slowly turn the word liberal into a word that more and more people do not want to be associated
with; terms like tree hugger, pro-choicer, elitist, etc., come to mind."
> End Bradley quote.
>
> I wonder 1) if you and other List members think the term Liberal is something that Eliot might ap
ply to himself were he here today? and 2) when you say