From: Carrol Cox [mailto:[log in to unmask]]But in any case I can make more
sense of Prufrock by beginning (now -- I
don't remember what assumptions I had when I first read it some 53+
years ago) with the assumption that I am perceiving the private musings
of the poem's fictive speaker.

Are you also assuming (or presuming -- do you dare presume?)
that that fictive speaker is Prufrock?
CC>A 19th century writer observed that "Men [sic] make their own history,
but do not make make it just as they please; they do not make it under
circumstances chosen by themselves, but under circumstances directly
encountered, given and transmitted from the past."
PM>Shore sounds like sumpin outta da 19th century. ugh!
   Do women also do history that way?

Cheers,
Peter.

Dr. Peter C. Montgomery