Dear Professor,

I understand what you mean by the language that
‘really comes alive and takes on meanings and shapes
much richer than those of the text’ when you look at
an Elizabethan production.  I relate it to the natural
speech rhythms of the spoken idiom, not that of the
educated Elite, but that of the subtle unconscious
expressions as associated with the culture of an age.
Eliot’s admiration of the Elizabethans and the
metaphysicals (and of course, his scorn for Milton),
as I can understand, is because he found that the
spoken idiom was expressed at it subtlest, which was
possible for them since a thought to them sprung as
easily as they could sense or ‘feel’ the smell of a
rose.  He calls that “unified sensibility”, as I
understand.

I haven’t given much thought to the mystic roots of
Eliot, and I was surprised when you related Eliot’s
sense of Elizabethan age to the mysticism of the
medieval ages.  It is true that he ruminates on his
roots that have mystic connotations, but then what I
have found is that tracing such roots could be
‘academic’, for they serve only a secondary interest
as far as his poems are concerned.  Eliot’s poetry
appeals to me as an expression which has more
‘learning’ behind it than any other inspiration (Yeats
appears to me as a different sort of a poet).  I do
not mean that he was ‘academic’, but he serves as a
fine example to me as to how one can overcome the
conditions of one’s time by sheer ‘intelligence’ and
be creative.

Possibly such a phrase cannot be defined with any
precision ! But then that is the charm of Literature,
isn't it? ;)

Thank You.

Regards,
vishvesh