I think, to make any sense of the relationship of the epigraph
to the poem, one has to decide who the opening "you" is, and maybe
even the opening "I". Is the "I" the same person throughout the poem?

Is the "you" never referred to again in the poem, except perhaps as
part of the collective "us" in the last line as they come out from
under the etherising effects of the yellow semen-smog that has
slept so peacefully.

Then there's the line from "Portrait of a Lady" something
like "you have the scene arrange itself, as it will seem to do."
Same "you" there?

Cheers,
Peter.

Dr. Peter C. Montgomery