From: Carrol Cox [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Seeing, perception in general, has no necessary logic or coherence.
Prufrock, then, would be only the name given to a possible bundle of
observations and perceptions, nominally held together by the opening line
seen as the speaker addressing himself.
PM's reply> As in Eliot's line from "Preludes"
"the thousand sordid images of which your soul is constituted."
CC> The worlds of the poems through TWL are worlds that won't
    cohere.
    If we see Prufrock as such a bundle of possibilities, then the
    "poet" is in some sense "in" the poem as the consciousness
    holding it together.

PM> Eliot might be the receptor or antennae, but the reader
    gives the perceptions temporary coherence in his reading
    of the poem, and uses his own take, based on his own experience
    in his reception of those perceptions. Prufrock exists
    only in the consciousness of the reader -- hence the desire
    to read so much of one's own personal take, into the poem.

CC> I'm just thinking with my fingertips here. I won't get
    into an argument over it.

PM> No argument wanted. I'm just interested in anything to do
    with sensory involvement in the poem.

Cheers,
Peter.

Dr. Peter C. Montgomery