From: Nancy Gish [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 6:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Prufrock's "smoke"

Oh thank you!!  It is so helpful.

Date sent:              Thu, 3 Apr 2003 18:33:48 -0800
From:                   Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
To:                     [log in to unmask]

That idiomatic remark "I don't think you can" is much more
prescriptive than "I don't think such a generalisation
is valid". What you think or don't think is valid, is
no prescription for what is valid or invalid for him.
Your original prescription has, phrased as you phrased it,
the connotations of "You are totally wrong" which is as
sweeping a generalisation as any that he may or may not
have made.

Glad to focus the language for you.

Cheers,
Peter.