From: Nancy Gish [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 7:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Pachel rings a bell backwards

Dear Jennifer and all,

I think Empson was wrong.  As Eliot said, it is true that we know so much
more than our ancestors and it is they that we know.  In 1975 so much of
what now can inform our reading of Eliot had not been published, not least,
Inventions of the March Hare and The Varieties of Metaphysical Poetry,
along with so many insightful readings of Eliot's political influences and
attitudes.

As for Versailles, in a general answer, Eliot was very influenced by
Maynard Keynes's The Economic Consequences of the War, and that
talks very much about the Treaty of Versailles.  You can see this in Eliot's
letters.  On specifics, I am thinking it through and will write on it.  So I
agree on the general images, but I think it goes beyond that and have to
be more precise than I can just in this forum.
Nancy