This evening, I got out to see if I could see the Prairie Chickens. First, I was just checking out some interesting backroads. As I was doing this, I came across a flock of about 50 American Golden Plovers and a small gathering of about 6 Killdeer in a cultivated field. I got out to where the booming should be going on, and found NOTHING. Nothing but cattle. Then, as I was contemplating leaving and after stumbling onto a Horned Lark in the road, along with a bunch of Eastern Meadowlarks singing their hearts out, I noticed a group coming in from the distance. Nearly looked like a flight formation of fighter planes. One by one, ten chickens came down to the ground. They strutted for a while to check out the area, and then began the booming. After about 10 min., 2 stragglers came along to join them. I watched them for about an hour, then left.

This was the very first time I had seen this, or the Plovers. Very excellent evening!!! It was so fascinating watching the booming. It had it all... foot stammering, charging, nearly jumping atop each other. It was great!!!

Frank Reiter
Sedalia MO