This evening, around 5 pm in Fenton, a southwest suburb in St. Louis County I spotted 9 soaring birds. I first thought turkey  vultures as they were not organized, but shortly thereafter they all faced west and traveled at the same pace, direction and altitude till I could no longer see them. I of course, was out with the dog and without binoculars. They were too high up for me to see any contrasting wing color, and I'm not sure if they had the V shape to the wings, the dihedral?  They only flapped their wings occasionally. I have not seen turkey vultures fly in a loose formation like this, there was no sound or V shape to the group as in geese.  Does anyone have input as to what these may have been?  Thank you in advance.

Please answer directly unless you think the whole group would benefit from your answer.

Patty Berry
Fenton
St Louis County