Eight of the Prairie-chicken viewers passed Susan leaving Grand Pass as
we entered.  We headed straight (north) from the hdq. and found 13
American Golden Plovers in a field with American Robins.  A Harris's
Sparrow was keeping company with White-crowned in the same area.

We followed the big loop, saw 5 Greater Yellowlegs, a few Tree Swallows
(never seen by the lead car) and had a few ducks and a Ruby-crowned
Kinglet.

Reduced to 6 viewers, we went east (road then turns north) from the hdq.
to Pool 8.  While looking through snow so heavy we could no longer kid
ourselves into calling it "cattail fluff" we watched 2 SANDHILL CRANES
flying along the tree line (with the Van Meter SP ridge behind them).
They flew back and forth and behind the trees.  We conjectured that
these could be the summer residents returning to their favorite area.

We found 8 or more Wilson's Snipe, only one Greater White-fronted Goose
and only one flock of Snow Geese with a conveniently placed Ross's among
them.

We finished the day with 74 species and saw no nuthatches or goldfinches!

It was a delightful outing, from prairie-chickens to plovers to cranes.
The company was jovial and the eyes and ears keen.

Edge Wade
Columbia MO