This Saturday morning I had a HARRIS SPARROW on the deck. This is the first
one I have seen in our yard in 2003. We were in Texas for a while, but got
back March 3. Last week when it was cold a WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW was seen on
the deck a couple different days. We've had about the usual number of
GOLDFINCH.

Wish we had a video of a squirrel/birdfeeder episode that Bob and I saw
yesterday. We have a "Flinger", a big tube feeder with a ring around the
bottom that moves when too much weight is on it (battery operated). This fat
squirrel decided he was strong enough to get a sunflower seed. Surely he
must have tried this when the battery was low. But Bob had just charged it.
That squirrel got entirely onto the ring and it started going around. He'd
try to reach out to the rebar, but his arm wasn't long enough. He went
around probably six times (Bob says more), falling to a hanging on with two
arms position, one arm, two back feet, one back foot. I don't know who got
most distressed, me or the squirrel. "Do something to help him!" Battery was
down on the video camera, of course. And Bob was having too much fun to go
for the camera anyway. The squirrel finally dropped out of our sight, ran up
a tree to a high crotch, and flattened himself onto the branch. There he
stayed without moving for a good 10 - 15 minutes.

Jo Ann Eldridge, Kearney, Clay Co.