3/26/03 Wed morning

At Rockwoods Reservation, St. Louis County - John and Nancy Solodar

Louisiana Waterthrush - definitely 2 birds, probably 3-4.   These were seen
and heard about 200 yards inside the closed off southern entrance before the
bridge that is under repair on Glencoe Rd.   (Heck, we just walked around
the gate.   The bridge repair crew seemed not to care about our presence so
long as we stayed far away from them.)   The birds were singing from the
stream, from branches above the stream and also from trees across the
Glencoe Rd from the stream.   After taking the detour to come into Rockwoods
from the north off Manchester Rd, we searched for more waterthrushes all
along the stream where they normally hang out, even down to the
aforementioned bridge repair, but without any success.

Pine Warbler - 1 bird in the short leaf pine woods across Highway 109 from
the Glencoe Rd entrance to Rockwoods.   We heard at least one Pine Warbler
singing on and off from about 8:50 am - 9:10 am, but then never heard it
again.   One of us got one look at a single pine warbler around 9:30 and the
other got a look around 11:00 am during our return visit.  Many chickadees
and goldfinch were also seen so one has to be careful about proper
identification in sorting through all the goldfinch at the top of the trees.
We did not detect any chipping sparrows at this location.

John Solodar
8135 Cornell Ct
University City, MO 63130-3639