  From: Gordon, Michael T.
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 8:35 AM
  Subject: Re: hummingbirds

  The earliest record I have for ruby-throated hummingbirds in Missouri is a couple of years ago outside of St. Louis when one was sighted March 30th.  Others have been seen along the Mississippi River in Illinois on March 27th.  For the past few years, the trend has been to see hummingbirds earlier and earlier each spring--whether that is due to global warming of more observers making reports, I do not know.  Certainly reports of rufous hummingbirds in the west are running earlier this year then normal, but on the other hand, snow geese are migrating through Missouri a bit later then usual.

  Anyway, in southern Missouri I'd suggest putting up feeders by March 25th.  In central Missouri I'll have my feeders out by April 1st, but I will admit to being overly anxious.  It's been a long winter.  Columbia's first hummingbird is usually seen about April 12th, and at my house 8 miles north, I usually see my first bird about April 17th.  The five days between April 12th and April 17th I am known for being impossible to live with.

  Note that the webmaster for the site Evelyn mentions (Lanny Chambers) is a Missouri resident and hummingbird bander from Fenton.  It's a good web site, and well worth browsing through more then just the migration maps.

  Finally, Katherine is right.  It is theoretically possible that other species of hummingbirds do migrate through Missouri earlier in the spring, but no one has feeders out or is looking for them, so they are not reported.  Two years ago there was a credible report of a hummingbird in late February or early March (I can't find my notes at the moment) in Greene County.  The species was not identified. It could have been a migrant, or a bird someone illegally overwintered in a greenhouse which then escaped. However, certainly Rufous hummingbirds that overwinter in the Gulf Coast area do begin to migrate to their breeding grounds during the month of February.  One possible flight path would take them through the Midwest including Missouri (retracing their path from the fall), but it is also possible they stay further south and have an elliptical migration, just as the rufous hummingbirds that migrate to Mexico do.

  Troy Gordon
  Columbia, MO
  http://www.missouri.edu/~gordonm/banding.htm