Saturday resulted in a 550 mile, 17 hour birding adventure
for four of us from Columbia. As Mike S. reported, we first
traveled from Columbia to join the Burroughs field trip to
Marais de Cygnes.  What a great bunch of people!  We
thoroughly enjoyed your helpfulness, and once everyone knew
I was in the final lap of becoming "countable" for Kansas -
boy, they were all keeping an eye out for the birds I
needed!  (and, no, Nancy, the Brown Creeper did not make its
way south!).

The snow squall did not deter us for completing our
appointed rounds.  We next traveled down highway 69 and then
over to Shawnee Trail CA area in hopes of seeing the
Short-eared Owls.  Excellent directions were provided by
Charley Burwick and between 4:30-5p, we had 13 SE Owls
either flying or sitting on fence posts!  It was quite a
display.  We also saw a Loggerhead Shrike, but no Prairie
Falcon.

Anytime I have had the opportunity to participate in other
Audubon clubs' field trips - we have ALWAYS been treated
with a real welcoming spirit.  It is an excellent way to
learn about different areas to bird, from the people who
know them the best.  And, to connect up faces with email
addresses from this list-serve!

15 more to go - watch out Kansas here I come!

Jean Leonatti
Columbia, MO