I too had a grackle in the yard today, and, I finally identified the "mystery
bird" that has been hanging out close to the house, next to a warm air
vent...a hermit thrush!  As I came down the driveway this afternoon, he flew
just above the car, and luckily I had a pair of bins in the glove
compartment. Then he flew alongside the driveway, started upturning dead
leaves, and I caught the rusty glint of his tail. AHA! Mystery solved!  And,
a new yard bird (along with that turkey).

Linda Yust
St. Louis County