I can't remember if I've seen any grackles around lately, but I saw one this morning.  There was a Common Grackle in my backyard picking at the fallen seed on the ground, and using the tube feeder.  It looked like a female.

Migrating hummingbirds have landed on the Gulf coast:  considering the challenges of their trans-Gulf flights this is truly a miracle happening in real time if there ever was one.

Purple Martins are as near as western Kentucky, and Barn Swallows and Chimney Swifts are just a few weeks away.  When I see the first swift over my house that is the official start of spring...for me, anyway.

Mike Thelen
St. Louis County, MO