This afternoon, I saw a Whooper Swan in a small pond off 151st St. just east of Quivira Rd. in Overland Park.. It is evidently an unbanded adult bird, which supposedly has been there for several weeks.

I recall going to Fountain Grove W.M.A. a few years back to see a Whooper Swan  reported associating with one or more Tundra or Trumpeter Swans there. (Not being able to find it, I decided it must be an escape). I note that Whooper Swan is not on the 1998 version of the Missouri Checklist posted on the ASM website, whereas Mute Swan and Barnacle Goose are both listed there as hypothetical. I would think that if either of those species could make it to the hypothetical list, Whooper Swan might be listed there too. (A truly wild Barnacle Goose is highly improbable in Missouri, whereas a genuinely feral Mute Swan is somewhat more likely).

Can anyone tell me what the MRBC did with the Fountain Grove bird and why?

Thanks.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri