I was thrilled to see an immature Golden Eagle swoop
by about 50 ft
from me this morning on the east side of the refuge.
It was between
Silver Lake and  the east gate.  I could not relocate
it later in the day.
Most of the water was still frozen over this morning,
but was thawing
rapidly by this p.m.

When I first got to Silver Lake about 9:30, there were
only a handful of
Snow Geese there.  Then they started coming in wave
after wave for the
next 3 hours.  By the time it was over there were so
many it was almost
scary!  When they would rise up from time to time, it
was an unreal
roar of sound!  Don't know how long they will stay,
but this weekend
might be a good time to experience this spectacle!

Today's list:
Snow Goose - 400,000+ independent estimate from
myself, refuge
         manager & other staff
Ross's Goose -3  (probably many more)
Canada Goose -500+
Greater White-fronted Goose -500+
Mallard -15,000
N. Pintail -250
Common Goldeneye -13
Lesser Scaup -20
Hooded Merganser -2
Ring-neck Duck -6
Northern Shoveler -5
G.W. Teal -3
Canvasback -2
Am. Wigeon -2
Bufflehead -2

I'm sure there were other ducks that I couldn't get
since the limited
open water was packed tight in places, plus some were
behind the
Snow Geese.  Also much heat shimmer from sun hitting
the ice.  With
the forcast I expect there will be lots more in the
next few days.

Bald Eagle -32
Golden Eagle -1
Red-tailed Hawk -12