From: "Mike Thelen" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 12:54 PM
Subject: Spring Grackle

> I can't remember if I've seen any grackles around lately, but I saw one
this morning.  There was a Common Grackle in my backyard picking at the
fallen seed on the ground, and using the tube feeder.  It looked like a
female.

> Migrating hummingbirds have landed on the Gulf coast:  considering the
challenges of their trans-Gulf flights this is truly a miracle happening in
real time if there ever was one.

> Purple Martins are as near as western Kentucky, and Barn Swallows and
Chimney Swifts are just a few weeks away.  When I see the first swift over
my house that is the official start of spring...for me, anyway.