Date: Saturday, March 22, 2003 12:20:21 PM
Subject: Re: OT--GOOD TO KNOW/Disanalogous

Precisely because he (no longer) has any divisions, the Pope must rely on his moral authority and the cogency of his arguments. Bush, by contrast, need not bother about convincing people, because he has the means to force his will on Iraq whether or not people are persuaded he should do so. And, by the way, I think he would be derelict in his duty if he failed to act, regardless of world opinion, in the face of a real threat to the US.

But, the action should be proportionate to the threat. I disagree with his judgment about the extent of Iraq's threat to the US and the absence of alternatives to war. Moreover, I worry that, if he is consistent, he will be unable to stop with Iraq. Iran, Syria, North Korea are just the most obvious next targets. I fear Iraq will either be a half-measure, or the first step toward a ten-to-thirty year war. Which it would be our duty to pursue, if necessary, but terribly misguided if, as I believe, it is not necessary.

Tom K

.