Date sent:              Mon, 17 Mar 2003 21:54:51 -0800
From:                   Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: 'Ash Wednesday' : A clarification requested
To:                     [log in to unmask]

From: Vishvesh Obla [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
I find that Eliot's poetry could be attributed to his intelligence
in absorbing the literary sensibility of the Elizabethans rather
than any other poetic sources of inspiration; probably, a difference
to note, between him and Lawrence.
======
I would think a strong difference on the intellectual level,
but ironically, Lawrence's rural roots may have provided him
with an inheritance of Elizabethan culture to some extent.

I'm convinced that Eliot's devouring of the Elizabethans
was part of his need to find his roots (as in East Coker).
Elizabethan English was a significant connection to the
medieval mystics of England (Ferrar et al. [good old al.]).
He noted a general loss of connection with that Eliz.
sensibility after Donne.

I believe the Indic trad. tome will inform you of the
degree of closenes with which Eliot came to converting
to an Indian religion.

I would not rule out the mystic dimension of AW, given
the influence of John of thre cross/Theresa of Avila.
They were, to some degree, contmeporaries of the
Elizabethans, although I can't check the dates precisely
right now.

Cheers,
Peter.

Dr. Peter C. Montgomery