Date sent: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 19:29:36 -0800
Send reply to: "T. S. Eliot Discussion forum." <[log in to unmask]>
From: Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Re : Eliot and Lawrence
To: [log in to unmask]

From: Vishvesh Obla [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

I remember some remarks made earlier that Eliot with his kind of
educational, Elizabethan and religious background couldn't have found
Lawrence to his liking. But when you read Eliot's comments on Lawrence,
they appear much more than that ; nor can they be considered passing
remarks or minor judgements, which could be flawed and hence not viewed
seriously. There is a cynical force behind them which makes them all the
more to be analysed.

You have some interesting generalisations here that make one

think that Eliot's view on Middleton might be brought into play,

but without specifics, it's not really worth the effort. It's a whole

lot easier just to think you are just being provocative to no good end.

Dr. Peter C. Montgomery
Dept. of English
Camosun College
3100 Foul Bay Rd.