From: Nancy Gish [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 4:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: OT--"What's American about America?"

It does not matter where Tom lives.  What matters is that you make
sweeping generalizations about Americans to a list mainly made up of
Americans who do NOT think as you do, and you are therefore quite
clearly NOT speaking for Americans--this is simple logic.

I do believe that the kind of terrible claim you make must be denied or one
can be complicit, at least that is so for me.

I remind the list of what many may have read:  in Lewiston, Maine, long
after 9/11 two hate groups came to stir up the people against Muslims
who had moved there.  A couple thousand people went to an alternate rally
to support the Muslim people; 30, of whom most were the hate group
themselves, turned up to support the bigots.

There is no broadly general American tendency to hate or to discriminate;
it is an ugly part of this country that we need to rise above and reject.
Lewis Lapham argues in "What's American about America" that we have
always been polyglot, and he gives the evidence.

I am so embarrassed about a group of supposed adults who actually make
laws changing "french fries" to "freedom fries" that I am glad I am not
traveling abroad now.  It is excruciatingly childish, stupid, ignorant, and
hateful--aside from being utterly inane.  MORE IMPORTANT:  Maine has a
very, very large Franco-American and French-speaking population.  Are we
supposed to hate our students now because their names are French?
This is appalling.  Who is next?  Do we rename hamburgers or
braunschweiger?  Those are German words.  Germany does not support
us.  Do we hate the Chinese?  Smash all the vodka?  Do we boycott the
British because something like 80% disagree with us or support them
because Tony Blair ignores them?

This is mad.
Nancy