I'm sorry, but one just can't disqualify a work from
corncideration because things have changed. It just doesn't
work that way.

To rework that very interesting quote of yours,
one might hypothetically have seen Eliot saying:

"With [THE WASTE LAND, Eliot] put something behind
him.  Not for nothing did he warn [Ezra Pound] not
to expect anything else of that kind: "I shan't write
in the same manner as [THE WASTE LAND] again"(Letters).
[Eliot], of course, has more than one subsequent
'manner', but what he is recognizing here is that he
has put something behind him for good.  The acute
emotional problem or disorder which queered his
personal relations and the play of this intelligence
has been placed - has been conquered by 'intelligence',
manifesting and vindicating itself in creative art.
He is now freed for the work of the greatest kind
of artist..."

He did in fact make somewhat similar assertions.
Does that mean we shouldn't bring TWL into our
deliberations?

Were that to happen on this list, it would be dead.
Virtually no other work of his gets discussed here.

Were one to suppress consideration of TWL, one might
see ASH WEDNESDAY, theplays, and 4Q as far superior
work. I happen to, but for very different reasons.

Cheers,
Peter.

Dr. Peter C. Montgomery
Dept. of English