When I was last there (White-winged Scoter), the pines were looking very
bad. A number of us commented on the dead trees and damage due to the
ice storm that fell about a year ago.

Not sure how much of the work that is taking place now is a result of
the need to remove dead growth...

Hope they use care!

Patrick Harrison
Shelby County Missouri

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/13/03 17:46 PM >>>
While birding around Lake Jacomo (Jackson County) today we stopped to
check the pines oppositte the group camping area and found that park
staff were hard at work.   They have removed about six large trees in
one area opening a wide passage into the field to the south and these
trees still had live growth on them.  The eastern upper third part of
the strip has been pruned to remove all the lower limbs.   How far they
are going with this and what the effect will be I don't know.
Hopefully this will stimulate more cone production and bring even more
Cross Bills, but I'm sure the effects are not all good for bird
watchers.

David