Mobirders,

Last year at this time I was enjoying a pair of
Eastern Screech Owls in a nest box in my Ferguson
backyard.  Anticipating the possibility of this
occurring again, I was happy when I heard Screech
Owl’s calling for the first two weeks this month from
Pin Oak’s in my backyard.  However, this calling ended
earlier this week and has been replaced by Barred Owls
calling using the same trees around my yard.   I have
not heard the Screech Owls at all in the last week,
and prior to this week I had never heard a Barred Owl
in my neighborhood (Ever!).  I am curious if the
Screech Owls could have become dinner for the Barred’s
or if the Screech Owls may have just moved elsewhere
as a result of the Barred’s moving in.  I realize both
of these are probably possibilities, however was
wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to how these
two species may interact when trying to fill the same
niche?  Should I forget about any Screech Owl nesting
in the box this year?

Josh Uffman
St. Louis County, MO

http://taxes.yahoo.com/