If you haven't already read about this eye disease epidemic among house
finches and for more information on mycoplasmal conjunctivitis, check out:

http://birds.cornell.edu/pfw/News/NewsArchive/PastNewsHOFIrelease.htm

Pete C.

_________________________

>It is almost March, and I realize that I have neither seen nor heard a
>House Finch yet this year. To be sure, I have not been getting out much.
>But in past years all of the feeders in my neighborhood would have hosted
>them, and by now they should be singing up and down my street. The feeder
>at Antioch Park that I watched for the Pine Warbler this morning should
>have had them, but did not. So should they be singing around my office in
>downtown Independence, where they have nested for quite a few years. But
>they are absent there, too.
>
>Come to think of it, my party only had one on the Kansas City CBC,
>although we looked at lots of feeders, including those at the Burroughs
>Audubon Library.
>
>I have heard that House Finches have been contracting an avian
>conjunctivitis of a kind that infects captive song birds, but I have been
>hearing about that for several years now without previously noting much
>impact on the local House Finch population. Has an epidemic of that
>finally reached us? Or is my sample just a small one?
>
>It is hard to believe that West Nile Virus has much to do with it.
>
>While I am wondering about House Finches, is their disappearance related
>to the fact that I have not seen a Pine Siskin for over two years, and
>very few in the Kansas City area in the several years before the last two?
>If so, why are there still plenty of goldfinches around? Or will they be
>next?
>

>Bob Fisher
>Independence, Missouri

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are
 still rolling. ~Mark Twain