I took an early morning trip to Mozingo Lake, Nodaway County this morning.
Glad I did.  When I arrived the first bird I noticed was a diver that was
about 4 feet out from the dam, and it would dive for a second and then come
right back up while flapping wildly.  It looked pretty beat up, but I could
tell it was a Hooded Merganser.  He kept on at this, and I noticed he was
always coming up at the exact same spot.  Figuring he was caught in
something, I went down and found he was tangled up real bad in fishing line.
  Luckingly, I was able to get him out of the water, and untangled him.  It
was a heavy test strength, and I was just able to snap the line as close to
the snag as possible.  The line was wound 5 times around the wing, twice
around the body and a few times around the neck.  I think he'll be ok, his
tertiaries were messed up a little, but none were missing.  It was amazing
at how calm the little guy was while I was unwrapping him and how quickly he
regained his energy once he realized he was free.  When I released him, he
immediately dove and he appeared to be doing fine.  It always feels good
helping wildlife, especially birds as striking as a Hooded Merganser.  Now
if only more fisherman would pick up there trash...

As for the other birds at the lake

Canvasback-12
Lesser Scaup-14
Common mergansers: about 20
Hooded mergansers: around 6 or so
Common Goldeneyes:  about 20
Northern Pintail:  8
Bufflehead:  1
Snow goose  1
100s-1000s of mallards and canada geese
Missed the ring necked and gadwalls that have been out there recently

The resident Kingfisher at the 102 River bridge was also active.

Not a bad way to start the day!

David Farmer
maryville