Dear MOBirders,

It is such a treat getting those little notes that accompany your numbers. It was exciting to read that Scott Johnson, Jefferson City, had two lifers (Snowy Owl and Lapland Longspurs) among the 34 species he saw in January. (Anyone who thought birding was dull in the winter months should go birding with Scott!) Then Nancy VandenBrink, Springfield, wrote that she saw 52 species in Jan. and "Exceeded last Jan by ONE!" Nancy's excitement at besting her own records was palatable. And, Jim Malone, Chesterfield, wrote that he couldn't get to the century mark for the month despite his best attempts. Well, neither did anyone else!

This month's COMAL gained and lost some participants compared to last year's. (I hope I didn't lose any results from those name's that I removed from the list.) Remember, you can join in at any point.

Oh yes, COMAL = Challenge Of a Missouri Annual List for those who are new to the list and it reflects the number of bird species seen in Missouri by participants during January 2003.
COMAL 2003

      NAME
     CITY
     DATE