#2 Hummingbird Poem by D.H. Lawrence

HUMMING-BIRD
I can imagine, in some otherworld,
Primeval-dumb, far back
In that most awful stillness, that only gasped
and hummed,
Humming-birds raced down the avenues.

Before anything had a soul,
While life was a heave of Matter, half inanimate,
This little bit chipped off in brilliance
And went whizzing through the slow, vast,
succulent stems.

I believe there were no flowers then,
In the world where the humming-bird flashed
ahead of creation.
I believe he pierced the slow vegetable veins with
his long beak.

Probably he was big
As mosses, and little lizards, they say, were once big.
Perhaps he was a jabbing, terrifying monster.

We look at him through the wrong end of the long
telescope of Time,
Luckily for us.

Humming-Bird, poem by D.H. Lawrence.

Evelyn