Dear birding colleagues,

Yesterday at REDA, I watched Scaups for 20-30 minutes. I was close enough
to see individual feathers through the scope, but I'm not very confident
about Scaups. I think I saw both Lesser and Greater (judging from head
shape, neck profile, nail width on bill, head thickness, etc.). There were
some moments when I suspected the critters were changing species while
underwater!

Most of the Scaups were at the Highway end of Ellis pond.

Can anyone confirm seeing both species there yesterday?

Also saw common and hooded mergansers, 8 ring-necked ducks, 6 ruddy ducks,
2 gadwall, a few mallards, tons of common goldeneyes, canvasbacks, etc.

Thanks,

Tom Fuller

Dr. Thomas H. Fuller, Jr.
Unit Head, Math and Natural Sciences