Too nice of a day to stay indoors!  This morning a Winter
Wren was present at Rock Bridge SP, along the Spring Brook
trail

A late afternoon trip to Eagle Bluffs and the Katy Trail
area at McBaine was most enjoyable and surprising.  Some of
this will add to Bill Goodge's earlier report.

The water containment units right behind the waste water
treatment plant at the McBaine parking lot for the Katy
Trail contained hundreds of Canada Geese, and a lone white
goose.  After much staring through scope and getting a
second opinion, I believe it is a Ross' Goose.  Very rounded
white head, could not see a noticeable "grin" line on beak,
the beak was darker at the base,  beak and bird seemed
smaller - no snow goose nearby for comparison.  It just
seemed so strange that there would only be one white bird,
and I would be lucky enough to have it be a Ross' that I had
trouble convincing myself it was!  Hope someone else sees it
and can confirm ID.

Wetland Unit #2 contained GW teal (which surprised me),
Mallards, Pintail, Shoveler and Gadwall.  Ran into Tim James
(MDC staff) and he told me that the Teal had over-wintered
in the wetland unit.  He also told me there were over 10,000
Mallards in Pool 10 - and I believe it when we got to hear
the roar as they all took flight, pretty impressive.  Also
100-200 gulls - all were matures and appeared to be
Ring-billeds.  That seemed strange too!  By the time we saw
the eagle nest, there were 3 adult eagles and there was
quite a lot of arguing going on.  We did have 3 Ring-necked
Ducks, the only divers we observed.

We also walked a portion of the "River Trail", back in the
woods between the slough and the Missouri River.  Things
were quiet in the woods but I was impressed with the work
that has been done marking the trail.  Hope to have a chance
soon to do the whole length.

As we were leaving EBCA, the "river of blackbirds" came
over - it literally stretched from one horizon to the other.

Jean Leonatti
Columbia, MO