Just a tidbit of information -- in my line of business I often have to
communicate with federal and state legislators.  We are still being advised
to FAX or email any correspondence to federal representatives and senators.
Because of the security issues, written correspondence  that is sent through
the US Postal service, takes forever to be cleared for delivered, if it is
delivered at all. FAX or email will arrive promptly. Just a sign of the
current times.

Some legislators do respond with "form", neutral letters - others take the
time to write a response that is specific to your cause.  Last year, I wrote
to my representative in support of CARA, and  received back a three page
letter outlining his reasons for not supporting that legislation.  Quite
frankly, I had more admiration for him because he took the time to explain
his concerns even though I didn't necessarily agree with them, then I did
for others who sent me such a neutral response I could not figure out what
they believed!

Personal opinion - you should keep communicating, no matter how frustrated
you are.  No one is ever going to agree with you 100%, you win some, you
lose some, but they aren't going to know your opinion unless you send it in.
I can tell you from experience, at least at the state level, some
secretaries keep track of the # of support vs. opponent letters/calls - and
a legislator may ask "for the count" even though they don't necessarily read
each letter.
Jean Leonatti