I went up to Smithville Lake, looking for good gulls late this afternoon. It was not to be. Despite having weather in the 60's two days in a row, the main part of the lake is still nearly all frozen. The expected arrival of gulls coincidental with the ice break-up has been delayed because the ice has not broken up. Who knows when that will happen, now that colder days and nights are being predicted?

The is a fairly log lead in the ice, which was full of Common Mergansers -- our first spring migrants!

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri